CONTENT SUGGESTIONS

Discussion in 'TRP Development' started by jules, May 23, 2018.

1. jules

jules Saver of TnB
    Contributor

United States
    Since launch, we've been pretty much stuck with the same content and nothing has really changed outside of custom model changes and additions of new weaponry and revealing some new SkyNet forces. Of course, all of these additions have been cool, but I'm thinking we step it up a notch with some parts of the content.

So, I've decided to put what I think would ultimately make TRP a more expansive, and enjoyable experience.

Non-TC/Scav clothing variety.

• Bland, maybe three-four articles of clothing choice.
    • Misrepresents the wasteland aesthetic, too clean looking.
    • NO FUCKING SCAV HELMETS.

There is legitimately no way to really tell another scav group from another. Today, I had the honor of meeting two other playerbased groups and we had some pretty good roleplay. But, I noticed that all of us looked pretty much the same. There is little no variety, I would expect a group of fiends to look a little bit different than a group of artifact hunters.

Another big thing is that we have no options for helmets, meaning if I get hit once in the head I'm dead instantly. The T-C helmets do not match the current scav clothing outfits whatsoever, you look like an idiot when you wear it.

As for our clothing looking too clean? I'm not asking for a complete rework to make everything look gritty and put together, just something to at least somewhat match the aesthetic of humanity being on the brink of extinction. There's a pretty good website that rips custom content from games that I will link later when I find it. ( We've used it before for some of our weapons on server, namely the shiv for HL2 and a couple of other guns )

A common rebuttal to this is " Jules, why don't you donate for it? " while I'm all up for supporting the community, there is no way I'm going to buy individual clothing separately for sixty dollars each when it should have been added in a long time ago. And if there's a problem with availability, there are a few members in the community that can rejig models and send them to whoever can put them on server ( I've done that before for HL2 ) so it shouldn't be a problem.

Better visual representations for our lasers.

• Current lasers look very boring, reminiscent of the rope tool shooting over and over with different colors.
    • A newer visual update to our lasers will allow for a nice change, will allow more 'wows' then 'oh, that again.'

This was previously mentioned in the suggestions board by Pew, but was quickly put in the tombstone for whatever reason. Though I believe it was technical, but it wasn't impossible to achieve. A new texture pack, or anything really regarding something most, if not all players will eventually have soon enough. From the start, I was never impressed by the lasers, even when we were on a night time map 24/7. Another issue of repetitiveness.

As for donating for something for this? I'd be all hands, and I'm sure a lot of other people would too to donate some money over to our developers here, or even a third party ( but that's iffy ) to get something like this on server. The visual influences the roleplay aspect a lot, we have been stuck using the same content for a while.

We used one of the weapons pew linked in our basewars server, and when you got hit by that laser there'd be a custom death thing for it and it looked absolutely sick.

Here's the pack if anyone wanted to try it out. http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=420970650&searchtext=Sci-fi

Would recommend using it on a night map for the full visual baddassery that takes place.

If anyone is too lazy to download the pack, here's a good high-definition video of it.

https://gfycat.com/gifs/detail/ImpartialAdvancedFalcon

Better visual representations for our explosions.

• Same as the last point, the explosions we have been using have been the same since 2004.
    • Not pleasing to the eye, I sometimes cringe when I see an event detailing an explosion that rocked the world for a second, but when I looked over the explosion itself looked like a microwave exploding.

Now, I know what you're all thinking. Gbombz, again? Well, yes. I'm pretty much adamant about this pack getting into TRP and even when I was an HL2 admin I was lobbying for it. While granted, it didn't make too much sense in the HL2 setting. What better place for it now.

TRP is an action packed schema that requires a lot of pleasing visual stimuli to keep and garner attention. It was new back then, sure. But I want to see something new now, you know. I have seen the same shit over and over. I understand some complaints about the GBombz pack is that it's unstable/causes errors, and is generally unreliable.

Well thankfully, I was able to find a better pack. HBOMBS. This pack is a slimmed down version totaling only to 139 MB. Another good thing about this pack is that it has a settings tab, and you can disable a lot of things. More importantly the setting that disables it unfreezing everything.

The only thing I'd like us to take from the GBombs pack is the artillery portion.

Weapon Impacts

• Better weapon impacts will allow the player to differentiate them being shot by a pistol round or a 50 cal round.

This one is gonna be pretty short, but I think it's needed. Using an example from today, I engaged in combat with a M2 Browning, but no one really cared. I'd like to see a bullet impact with a plume of dust or something to what we had when we shot the blunderboss or the M82 and when it hit the floor smoke lit up and shit.

Those are my four top suggestions. Thank you for reading.

Please leave all comments constructive.

• Agree Agree x 21
    • Winner Winner x 4
    #1 jules, May 23, 2018
    Last edited: May 23, 2018
  2. RGB

RGB I am not a bot
    RR Moderator

United Kingdom
    gbombs?

edit: a good deal of this would actually improve the cinematic feel and quality of life on the server though

• Agree Agree x 2
  3. Cortez

Cortez Connoisseur of Fine Bukakke
    Contributor

Italy
    I love you.

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. Rabid

IDIOTS

Definitely echoing the Scav clothing (and other stuff). It'd be nice to see some more variety/helmets for them, so even if you will obviously end up with some repeats of clothing it'll be a bit less of a "oh they're brown again".

• Funny Funny x 1
  5. Scouser

Scouser Member

United Kingdom
    Will donate 60 dollars for this tactical pre-JD helmet.

[​IMG]

6. Davebrown

Davebrown my role as server owner is to ruin your roleplay
    Senior Executive Administrator

United Kingdom
    TBH the lasers are fine....sure maybe we could have custom stuff for SUPER plasma weapons but i have a feeling some of that stuff is pretty over the top and might be just ...too much for regular plasma

Explosions - agreed .... id love for more BOOM with fancy particle effects

bullet impacts.....we actually had this in the past but then everyone voted to remove it because it was too visually impairing in big fights....like dust was just flying everywhere.......i loved it though

Non-TC helmets - sorry no can do.....as you should all have figured out by now if i want to add a new headgear item, id have to go through every single male and female head model and add it individually
    which is most definitely, not worth my time in the slightest even if you paid me, id rather just not have that intense pain in my balls it would create

Extra scav outfits - this i CAN do......however i dont see a huge need for that much variety since 80% of the population are in TechCom.

If you start giving people certain choices, they then want even more and suddenly our content pack is gonna be huge.

• Winner Winner x 5
    • Informative Informative x 1
  7. Cortez

Cortez Connoisseur of Fine Bukakke
    Contributor

Italy
    All I want man.

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. Rabid

IDIOTS

The only real reason really is that people are trying to push for more scav/unaligned player-groups as an alternative to TC for folks who wanna do something else. It'd be nice to have one or two more armor options in general (like a trench coat with a vest under it for example) so you have a bit more choice.

9. gabriel

gabriel Senior Member

Philippines
    though you still have to consider the 20% who all look like the same people

10. vika

vika New Blood

United States
    while i would like new headgears and shit i can also completely understand why you don't want to do that at all

so i think honestly just new outfits would be beneficial

same with some better explosion effects, the ones we have are pretty fuckin wimpy and the sounds they give off aren't very appealing at all

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. Kashaving

TRP Admin

Australia
    Didn't the HL2 m82 actually have an explosion effect that did damage? Or was that literally just dust?

Either way I like the idea of the bullet impacts, those are pretty cool, and I can't really see what there is to complain about with them.

And even though we're usually in urban environments I think a proper ghillie suit would be cool, and I think it'd blend well with the military theme you've got going on. Even if it's just something similar to how flower's vest used to work on HL2 where if you'd equip it, it would entirely change your model. Plus it'd add a little variety from the normal TC uniforms.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  12. Kashaving

TRP Admin

Australia

Yeah (((THROWBACK))) but shit similar to 3:45, but probably not as extreme.

• Winner Winner x 1
  13. bungo

bungo sopping wet
    IDIOTS TRP Admin RR Moderator

United States
    Gbombs give it to me gbombs

• Agree Agree x 1
    • ...what? ...what? x 1
  14. Detective Zero

Detective Zero On the case
    Contributor

United States
    I fucking lol'd at the rp_seeall on 5:06 @Kashaving

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  15. BMY871

BMY871 Zealot

United States
    There's been a lot of activity with scav groups lately, and they're a good part of the server population. It would be great to have some variety, even if it's alternate colors of the same uniforms (just an option that isn't black would be a great addition).

16. BraveBoats

BraveBoats Zealot

United Kingdom
    Would you consider adding player models/equipment for non-TechCom factions that are equal in technological level. I am thinking along the lines of player based factions such as splinters from TechCom, maybe scavenger clans that have steadily increased in power, even just independent groups.Better to have that level of diversity as I think having everyone in techcom is a bit bland and homogenous for a start.

17. Anri

Anri cute when mad

Germany
    gmod is a visual medium
    -> better visuals are (almost) always better

heck yeah.

• Agree Agree x 3
  18. Davebrown

United Kingdom
    dont be hating on my use of seeall on hl2rp :P

im not doing any ghillie suits they suck - although tbh the ALPHA outfit has that sort of shoulder / torso overall which was actually originally the base for a ghillie - i just removed the fleks as they were annoying

there are a few things i could add also.....for example the newer rangers model could have the bulletproof vest stripped off and has a skin option to make it black leather, also theres the flight suit for females based on Blair from salvation

when i actually originally started work on TRP:2 in 2015 i had a load of metro2033 models as scavenger choices too but they just looked so russian and lame.....so dumped them in the end

the HL2RP 50cals etc did have a variable for splash damage - something ive asked for to be re-added.....and also a custom impact damage variable so for example we could define particles such as incendiary blasts, plasma fizzles, HE explosions or for example the magnusson crossbow had that huge effect or the antlion bow that had the acid splash

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Winner Winner x 2
  19. bungo

bungo sopping wet
    IDIOTS TRP Admin RR Moderator

United States
    91st flight suits pls

• Agree Agree x 2
  20. Kashaving

TRP Admin

Australia

Whether or not there’s additional damage or not is up to you and depends on if it’s going to be balanced I suppose. But the impact effect itself is pretty cool, even for machine guns, you could have it kick up dust and maybe take out the flame? Though I’m not sure if that’s even possible.

From memory the ptrs 41 had it as well, and it worked pretty well from what I saw.

• Winner Winner x 1
  21. vika

vika New Blood

United States
    having MGs kick up dust would make them feel even more punchy and i 100% want that

• Agree Agree x 1
  22. LandOfTheFree

LandOfTheFree I'M A PATRIOTIC AMERICAN, THAT'S MY NATIONAL RIGHT
    TRP Admin

United States
    Plus it would make getting shot at cooler.

• Agree Agree x 1
  23. Davebrown

United Kingdom
    I guess I always liked that dust effect from insurgency

Just feels like shit is flying all over your screen and makes you wanna hug the floor like ARRRRRGH I DONT WANNA DIE

I think the classic effect we used directly was simply the HL2 impact for bullets when hitting any wall with a "plaster" texture variable
    although then that causes problems when people shoot metal or glass i think

• Winner Winner x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  24. vika

vika New Blood

United States
    that too, if the effect was applied to drone miniguns, it'd be a whole hell of a lot scarier to not only see the tracers fly by but also the big impacts from the bullets

• Agree Agree x 3
  25. Kashaving

TRP Admin

Australia
    It’s probably too extreme for Garry’s mod but u might even be able to work it into wac.

Something like the end of this video on a slightly smaller scale would be pretty cool.

• Winner Winner x 2
  26. FervensPb

IDIOTS Moderator

27. Polioman

Polioman Senior Member

Canada
    Why is russian clothes lame?

28. Enraged

Enraged Senior Member

United States
    Idk man you tell me
    [​IMG]

• Thinking Thinking x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    #28 Enraged, May 23, 2018
  29. Polioman

Polioman Senior Member

Canada
    That is for occasions.

30. MrDeRPster

MrDeRPster Senior Member

Canada
    I dunno if this is a good idea but if u don't wanna implement new helmets and pbgs don't wanna use TC helms, is it possible to incorporate head armour with new scav clothing? If not, could u just give facewraps and caps a decent amount of armour?

Also, idk if it's just me, but maybe increase the audio range or add echo to the gun sounds. It really annoys me sometimes to only hear a light impact on the dirt from a gun a hundred meters away from me

• Disagree Disagree x 1
    #30 MrDeRPster, May 23, 2018
  31. BMY871

BMY871 Zealot

United States
    Because this is LA

• Agree Agree x 1
  32. BMY871

BMY871 Zealot

United States
    I disagree with this so strongly

33. Flower

Flower Jason Killer does not exist....
    TRP Admin

United States
    just give me better plasma visuals and ill be happy, dad
    @Davebrown

34. Drewerth

Drewerth nothing stops MY roleplay

United States
    I will donate for gbombs.

35. TankNut

TankNut Is Tekka done yet?
    Developer

Netherlands
    You explain to me how a 50 caliber bullet does splash damage and I'll consider adding it back...

We can recreate all the other stuff fairly easily now though with the projectile system that was added a while ago.

• Agree Agree x 2
  36. Anri

Anri cute when mad

Germany
    standard fmj? not so much
    mk-211 raufoss? hohoho...

it's trp which is run by the rule of cool and if we have plasma guns i'm sure it wouldn't be a stretch to say TC's got it's hands on a handful of mk-211 raufoss rounds
    or several handfuls

• Agree Agree x 1
  37. MrDeRPster

MrDeRPster Senior Member

Canada
    I can see why it's an unpopular opinion. The idea of this can go to shit in a few ways, but among scavs and pbgs alike they all complain about having to resort to the same ugly helmet to prevent getting one shot by a stray bullet. It gets annoying at a point and people are almost desperate for an alternative to the TC helmet.

If u could tell me a little more with why u disagree maybe I can improve on what I said

• Friendly Friendly x 1
  38. vika

vika New Blood

United States
    i like the idea because the tech-comm helmet looks silly with the scavenger outfits, it doesn't make a lot of sense but i'm fine with it

39. Polioman

Polioman Senior Member

Canada
    Can we have maybe one of those russian helmets? No extra shit on it and its plain and simple. Like this
    upload_2018-5-23_13-49-54.

40. Desrat456

Desrat456 Member

United States