Community Update 4 - HL2 Uprising & What Comes After

skylion

your newest internet obsession
Sep 17, 2015
Hi.

I know that there's been a good deal of drama the last couple of days surrounding the removal of our developer, and like the post Bennet made said, we encourage anybody with questions or concerns to talk to us privately. This post isn't going to linger too much on that drama but rather the future of our servers since that's what people are really worried about.

First of all, I'd like to quell the rumor that HL2 is ending in 3-4 weeks.

As it stands, the plan is for the Uprising to begin and significantly ramp up the day and following week after Granite Peak, which will be on the 21st. This does mean that City Roleplay in its current form will mostly be coming to a close and that there will be open warfare in the streets between the different branches of the Combine and the Resistance. While I don't want to give too much away because it's so close either way, the CCA/CMC will not have their characters removed from the server or sidelined, although their allegiance to those agencies of the Combine may not survive through the oncoming conflict.

Following the actual city Uprising, there'll be a seamless segue into a completely different arc of the server wherein the server will exist in a primarily Outlands-based setting and characters will most likely be constantly moving forward for their next objective in the war against the Combine.

Now the main question a lot of people might be having is why HL2 is progressing towards its ending. Despite the rumors that this is being rushed for the sake of TRP, that's really not the case at all. HL2 as it currently stands is an extremely flawed setting and, to be honest, is being managed by a team that was mostly never apart of its original planning which leads most of us to the feeling that we're constantly playing catch-up with the lore and the setting itself with its many issues. Most of the feedback threads and posts that have come up ever since the reboot have helped us come to the conclusion that there are some very fundamental flaws in the setting that are irreparable without ripping up the foundation of the setting itself, and that's not something we feel comfortable doing in the middle of a server actively progressing through its main story.

So here's where I announce the two big next steps: yes, people were correct in stating that TRP will shortly follow HL2 after it ends. This isn't to replace HL2, it's to make true on the promise I made months ago that we'd run both of these servers alongside each other and offer support to both with our combined administration team.

What was left out by these rumors is that HL2, not too long after TRP's start, will have a new iteration. This new HL2 iteration will be in a new city on a new continent, but will be carrying over with it the story of HLNA and all of the characters that were played here, regardless of faction allegiance. So yes, this iteration of HL2 (HLNA) will be coming to a conclusion this year, but it will be shortly followed up by a second iteration wherein we hammer down the flaws in this setting and allow people to continue their character's story right where they left off at the end of the C107 iteration. TRP will function as a stopgap that will let us have more time to prepare this new iteration: new unit models, new script features, and preparing a new faction dynamic that'll keep city roleplay flourishing without stripping roleplay from any one faction.

Thanks for reading. Also, please sign up for the event here as either Overwatch or Resistance if you're interested in coming: https://www.taconbanana.com/threads/event-granite-peak-8-21.39239/

So our characters that survive will be able to return in this new iteration?
yes :)

with no retconning or alteration being needed to their story, either. it will be the same character that experienced everything on hlna.

Can I ask how exactly in THEORY it should happen? I don't see how the rebels from HLNA could seamlessly show up IN another city, on another content. It's kinda strange, unless they'd all still be wanted.

And I'm not bitching, i'm just confused.

Can I ask how exactly in THEORY it should happen? I don't see how the rebels from HLNA could seamlessly show up IN another city, on another content. It's kinda strange, unless they'd all still be wanted.

And I'm not bitching, i'm just confused.
it is going to be a pretty massive plot point near the end of the story in this c107 iteration so i really do not want to give away too much of it other than the fact it will be happening. it won't be a free getaway as if they just row across the sea or something though, i can say that much

momma never taught me to reed so goodly

so the trick is we're gonna end this iteration, run trp, and then open a HLNA 2 type beat later on so the playerbase can springboard from one to the other?

what's the plan for factions going forward into this next iteration if we're carrying on our current characters? are they back to ground zero/eradicated or just picking up from where they left off in 107?

it is going to be a pretty massive plot point near the end of the story in this c107 iteration so i really do not want to give away too much of it other than the fact it will be happening. it won't be a free getaway as if they just row across the sea or something though, i can say that much
Fair enough, let's see how it goes.

Hi.

I know that there's been a good deal of drama the last couple of days surrounding the removal of our developer, and like the post Bennet made said, we encourage anybody with questions or concerns to talk to us privately. This post isn't going to linger too much on that drama but rather the future of our servers since that's what people are really worried about.

First of all, I'd like to quell the rumor that HL2 is ending in 3-4 weeks.

As it stands, the plan is for the Uprising to begin and significantly ramp up the day and following week after Granite Peak, which will be on the 21st. This does mean that City Roleplay in its current form will mostly be coming to a close and that there will be open warfare in the streets between the different branches of the Combine and the Resistance. While I don't want to give too much away because it's so close either way, the CCA/CMC will not have their characters removed from the server or sidelined, although their allegiance to those agencies of the Combine may not survive through the oncoming conflict.

Following the actual city Uprising, there'll be a seamless segue into a completely different arc of the server wherein the server will exist in a primarily Outlands-based setting and characters will most likely be constantly moving forward for their next objective in the war against the Combine.

Now the main question a lot of people might be having is why HL2 is progressing towards its ending. Despite the rumors that this is being rushed for the sake of TRP, that's really not the case at all. HL2 as it currently stands is an extremely flawed setting and, to be honest, is being managed by a team that was mostly never apart of its original planning which leads most of us to the feeling that we're constantly playing catch-up with the lore and the setting itself with its many issues. Most of the feedback threads and posts that have come up ever since the reboot have helped us come to the conclusion that there are some very fundamental flaws in the setting that are irreparable without ripping up the foundation of the setting itself, and that's not something we feel comfortable doing in the middle of a server actively progressing through its main story.

So here's where I announce the two big next steps: yes, people were correct in stating that TRP will shortly follow HL2 after it ends. This isn't to replace HL2, it's to make true on the promise I made months ago that we'd run both of these servers alongside each other and offer support to both with our combined administration team.

What was left out by these rumors is that HL2, not too long after TRP's start, will have a new iteration. This new HL2 iteration will be in a new city on a new continent, but will be carrying over with it the story of HLNA and all of the characters that were played here, regardless of faction allegiance. So yes, this iteration of HL2 (HLNA) will be coming to a conclusion this year, but it will be shortly followed up by a second iteration wherein we hammer down the flaws in this setting and allow people to continue their character's story right where they left off at the end of the C107 iteration. TRP will function as a stopgap that will let us have more time to prepare this new iteration: new unit models, new script features, and preparing a new faction dynamic that'll keep city roleplay flourishing without stripping roleplay from any one faction.

Thanks for reading. Also, please sign up for the event here as either Overwatch or Resistance if you're interested in coming: https://www.taconbanana.com/threads/event-granite-peak-8-21.39239/
Does this mean more mantis men?

so the trick is we're gonna end this iteration, run trp, and then open a HLNA 2 type beat later on so the playerbase can springboard from one to the other?
yes, but it will not be in america. reason for that will be revealed during the story

what's the plan for factions going forward into this next iteration if we're carrying on our current characters? are they back to ground zero/eradicated or just picking up from where they left off in 107?
most if not all of the factions are going to undergo a pretty significant rework before the next iteration. the next iteration of hl2 will be in a very different world after all of the events of hlna itself

i should make it known now too that if your character is displaced from the cca throughout the course of the uprising, there will be an opportunity for them to rejoin in the next iteration. keeping this all vague for a reason because it'd spoil the magic of the story by explaining how we're going to achieve all of these things in a sensible way

Hello, this has me excited, especially because we don't have to rush our character arcs, but I do have questions:

1. How will we avoid the same issue when the team inevitably changes over time, there was a plan, and the team is completely different compared to then. How do you keep that from becoming a cycle?

2. I think this iteration was a lot better than the previous ones. However, I think there can still be more of a place for CA, CMC, and any other none CCA/Rebel character that the administration should consider in the next iteration's planning. Can we safely assume that if our character was not actively rebelling but "doing what it takes to stay alive" during this uprising, they can be moved to the next iteration and not be wanted? How will this work for non-CCA/Rebel characters? I like the idea of having to pick a side and live with the consequences, but on the other hand, it might make people rush character arcs.

3. How can we avoid jumping into this new iteration with existing characters and a fresh start? For instance, a large portion of the resistance will likely be known by the end of the uprising, so how do we organically move both CCA, CA, rebels over and have them coexist without forcing half the server to stay underground at the launch of the new iteration?

4. Will flags and positions move over? This goes for CMC, CA, CCA, ATA, COTA, Smugglers, etc. I understand moving cities and a new iteration, but I would hope that people aren't losing positions and expected to pick up those characters without them suddenly. It doesn't make sense for a character who was ATA/CA/CCA/COTA/CMC just to be thrown into the general population/citizenry, especially when most have had high-level clearances and were telling a story. ( I know this was answered for CCA, but it REALLY wouldn't make sense for ATA characters to be thrown back into the general populace since the idea of them is being so high up)

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread