Chernobyl, the HBO Miniseries

raildriver

Jun 8, 2017
"There was nothing sane about Chernobyl."

I briefly mentioned this on the Discord, but I recently began watching the currently showing miniseries "Chernobyl" produced by HBO. It's a five-part series (and as of writing, only two episodes are out) that details the people on both sides of the aftermath of the Chernobyl nuclear disaster and surrounding fallout. Civilians trying to make sense of what's going on, the workers who risked their lives to prevent further incident and the members of the local Communist parties and government officials trying to stave off information from leaking.

Although I would've preferred actors using natural language, I have no issue with everyone being Brits. Each episode is about an hour's length, and are all masterfully detailed from every perspective.
I have attached the trailer to the series along with a couple screenshots.

dougal

low effort
Feb 27, 2013
Oh shit I didn't know this was out already, I'll watch the first two episodes tonight and see how it goes. Trailers looked awesome

Mister Rogers

TnB's Dreamboat & nicest person
May 26, 2011
absolutely one of my favorite shows in a while. it's easily one of the scariest things ive watched in years.

7dast

Zealot
Jan 1, 2012
bro no need for spoilers. we all know people died at chernobyl. also i gotta say

the fact that I KNOW WHAT HAPPENED AND I KNOW THAT RADIATION IS KILLER IS THE MOST TERRIFYING THING. ITS THIS INVISIBLE ENEMY THAT NOBODY SEES AND ITS JUST FUCKING INSANELY SUSPENSEFUL

Mister Rogers

May 26, 2011
honestly had to pause and take a break after seeing the affects of radiation on the first responders.

Greene

space cowboy
Jul 4, 2011
Why are you putting the synopsis of the episode? I know it's a known event but I still dont want to read that before I see it. Put a spoiler tag on it, please.

And before you say "dont read it then" there are literally pictures for whatever reason.

Last edited:

_Nirri™

Legend
May 21, 2011
I believe in a podcast that the creator of the show is on, he goes into why they opted for british accents more so, so the entire thing is very much a conscious choice.
It's primarily to do with how any false Russian accent is often seen as comedic 'BORIS & NATASHA'-style stuff by american viewers or something like that, and honestly I think they made a proper choice with it, if they had american/british-actors try these false russian accents I'd partially be taken out of it.

_Nirri™

Legend
May 21, 2011
Spoilers to EPISODE 1. Obviously.

Jul 1, 2018
I think it's fairly common for films or shows in a European setting but with English-speaking characters to use British actors. Enemy at the Gates did something similar.

That being said show is good, even if I barely know any of the characters names.

Mister Rogers

May 26, 2011
even as a russian speaker, going the route of hiring english actors was hbo's best bet and i'm glad they did. while there's a little part of me that would have loved to have seen it in Russian, doing it in english makes the show so much more accessible to people while also not having to mess with translations.

raildriver

Jun 8, 2017
Why are you putting the synopsis of the episode? I know it's a known event but I still dont want to read that before I see it. Put a spoiler tag on it, please.
I didn't know how to add a spoiler tag, so I just tried to give a fair warning in bold.

raildriver

Jun 8, 2017
Okay, thank you. When the next episode comes out I will do my best to condense it with sparse information and add spoilers.

Mongoose

Has absolutely no life
Jun 6, 2011
After this and The Terror, I've realized having Jared Harris around is a good way to die a cruel and unusual death.

Enraged

Mana Addict
TRP Admin
Jan 26, 2018
The soundtrack from this show will do wonders in the next HL2 iteration.
Dear god it's amazing

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)