1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

CCC: The Failed Economy and Its Effects

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Rionas, Nov 13, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Doggo

Doggo Zealot

Canada
    The whole point of this thread was to discuss how to fix it, removing credits was a suggestion lol that's not my idea

And leading by example can only happen if you lead anything. I don't lead anyone. I still RP to reflect the way I want to others to RP so that I myself am justified. I don't have to worry about many others because few respect me like that and fewer look to me as a role model. The case is different for Anony, Somedude, or SgtChico.

If you yourself think of yourself as capable of trading IC items, then you start RPing it with others who believe the same, and eventually it becomes a system that works. That's how a lot of shit happened before the resistance was OOCly organized.

2. 7dast

7dast Zealot

United States
    guys its a roleplay server, you're free to do whatever the fuck you want within the realm of reality and the guidelines set forth. if you want to trade ic items, go ahead. ive had a character who traded books for credits and not to mention, sometimes, you're better off accepting some characters have more credits ic than they do ooc. worry more about driving a narrative.

my biggest issue within the cca is a lack of diversity. people become obsessed with rising through the ranks so they create these "perfect" units with no personality, the type of characters who rat on every unit they see for every minor transgression and yadda yadda yadda which is dumb. the last problem on the server is the economy, we're at a point where the uprising is beginning and everything on the resistance side should be a barter system etc.

idk im rambling but really units need to take charge of themselves, if the server is boring for you thats your problem. the entire year i played 876 the least interesting and engrossing roleplay i got was from units in the cca, and thats a shame.

• Agree Agree x 2
  3. 7dast

7dast Zealot

United States
    i would like to add. anony, somedude, fuzzy, bennet, etc. have all been working very hard to make the CCA more open to diverse units. units who are corrupt, units who arent loyal, etc. on an ooc level. they're not gonna outright pk you or blackmark if your character isnt the shining example of the union. 876 was a slimeball who really didnt care for the union, often broke protocol, scummed other units, and was far from the "status quo" that the union would realistically want. but i was a good roleplayer, and i created good roleplay and when my character knew how to talk to people.

really, make your character a character you'd want to play. not a character you think, the union wants you to play. the less you worry about ranks and shit, the more fun you'll have. the FC,HC, etc. can pretty much tell when an 04 should be an AdJ etc. so you detaining jane doe for smoking a cigarette at a no loitering sign wont get you anywhere.

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Winner Winner x 1
  4. Benji Dooble

Benji Dooble Diamond in the rough
    Contributor

United States
    Yeah, you guys on your units are way too cardboard and cultish for creative flow. Whenever I'm flagged up everyone feels robotic no matter what.

5. Doggo

Doggo Zealot

Canada
    I'm not denying that Anony and Somedude are trying do things for the CCA. I'm just suggesting that they make a ground unit and reflect the RP they post here, if nobody reads the forum or pays them mind.

6. 7dast

7dast Zealot

United States
    buddy there are already ground units who reflect the rp they want posted

there was 876, there was 788, 293, kingryan's unit, 554, 991, 577, 200, etc.

hell 200 is a shining example of a rough around the edges, non-tradiational unit who is the SqL of the squad. you can give all these roleplayers shining examples of what they want, but if they're making the character to gain ranks and rise, they're only gonna pay attention to 2 things.

Standard Operating Procedure and Civil Protection Wikia.

then once they realize their robot character isnt getting ranks and isnt progressing and theyve already snitched on every unit who strayed from the status quo they go "wow this is fucking boring" and make a rebel with the name like John "Hawkeye" Starboro

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. Doggo

Doggo Zealot

Canada
    Yeah but it isn't those units complaining that people aren't motivated or aren't listening to their posts, 7dast

8. 7dast

7dast Zealot

United States
    i dont get what you mean doggo. they arent complaining cause they're having fun. im trying to tell you, they're having fun because they are creating interesting characters for themselves, not for HC and rank progression.

9. Doggo

Doggo Zealot

Canada
    Holy shit let me quote Bennet and Anonys posts for you cause we're on 2 separate pages

Says Anony, hence my post about role modelling on server

#169 Doggo, Nov 14, 2017
    Last edited: Nov 14, 2017
  10. _Nirri™

_Nirri™ Legend

Belgium
    That mentality... THAT mentality is so flawed and one of the key reasons why many people refuse to accept the fact that they're part of the problem and just as easily could be a part of the solution.

"Oh I'm not a leader, so I ain't gotta do shit. I'll just mind my own."

You even point it out in your own post still ,"If you yourself think of yourself as capable of trading IC items, then you start RPing it with others who believe the same, and eventually it becomes a system that works." and proceed to like 7Dast's post where he actively states that units should be taking charge themselves which I couldn't agree more with and that statement just as much transfers towards Loyalists, rebels and the likes.

You, me and even Billy Bob Joe the Camelman in D3 can lead by example by being the first to do something, keep doing it with other players and soon those other players will do the same because they actually find it enjoyable, see that it holds benefit towards RP, this doesn't just apply to this bartering with IC stuff that you're talking about but just about anything.

Claiming that admins, high command should lead by example but then refuse to do yourself is just plain stupid, and that mentality just leads to what is going on now. I'm honestly of the opinion that if you're not willing to put in the effort to lead by example, you have no right to tell them to do so. (This isn't personally aimed at Doggo but just about anyone who's ready to tell them to lead yet doesn't do it themselves.)

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Dumb Dumb x 1
  11. Doggo

Doggo Zealot

Canada
    I don't intentionally role model, I still reflect my beliefs in my RP. If someone follows my example it's an unintended consequence.

#171 Doggo, Nov 14, 2017
    Last edited: Nov 14, 2017
  12. Anony

Anony Spin Doctor
    HL2 Community Leader

Yeah, I'm not going to play a ground unit because that doesn't appeal to me. I've never been a fan of sociostability. My niche is intelligence. I provide roleplay for everyone. I'm sure there's plenty of people who can attest to that.

That doesn't mean I don't make efforts to improve the CCA. I mean, that's evidenced everywhere too. I don't know if you're helping by suggesting that HC don't do enough or should be playing examples when anyone can do that.

I can point at historically good portrayals of units but that's never fixed the CCA at large before. It's down to the individual. It won't matter how many good units you surround yourself with if you don't connect and play.

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Dumb Dumb x 1
  13. Doggo

Doggo Zealot

Canada
    Then what the fuck is the point of this whole argument lmao

Is it as short as "be motivated"? Do you well and truly believe just saying that is going to do shit? This is turning into a rodeo and it was intended to be a thread for open debate.

• Dumb Dumb x 5
  14. 7dast

7dast Zealot

United States
    I’m also gonna come out right and say it. A lot of them are too stupid, you can sit and explain to them for an hour and they’ll go “yeah I know.” And you can lead by example, but then you’ll see those same units AFK at a checkpoint and doing lazy pat downs on citizens.

Want a good in for your character to get more in-depth role play? When you stop a citizen, question them.

“Where are you headed?”

“Why?”

These force the other player to think, not to mention if you’re a good reader and you pay attention to things like description or they way they make their character move you can find so much to press a character for. Role play is so easy to find, you just have to be open to finding it.

#1 problem is people don’t want to role play with everyone just a clique, break out of that mentality and you’ll realize how much RP you can find.

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Winner Winner x 2
    • Dumb Dumb x 1
  15. Doggo

Doggo Zealot

Canada
    That's been stated in the CCA guide already but apparently it does nothing. Now this thread has truly become retarded.

Telling people to be motivated and do shit will do nothing if they aren't already motivated. I may be extra combatative, but you're doing nearly the same thing.

Can we discuss Citizen RP again?

16. 7dast

7dast Zealot

United States
    Dude, it's /writing/ a form of ART. What is the #1 drive to write, draw, create? An internal one, they see something and feel inspired, etc.

Every time I've ever gotten back into roleplay, or created a new character is cause I saw someone else doing something interesting, I saw a movie, I read something, I thought of something. Hell, half my best ideas have been on a toilet or in a shower. You can't expect someone to make somebody else feel inspired, they have to find that inspiration themselves.

• Informative Informative x 1
  17. Doggo

Doggo Zealot

Canada
    Holy fuck. Let me put it simply.

Telling someone to be motivated does not motivating them. I'm not arguing motivation doesn't exist (??????).

What????

18. Snuggles

Snuggles придурка, патриот

United Kingdom
    take a break doggo

19. Anri

Anri cutie
    HL2 Admin Contributor

Germany
    it's boring after X years of this iteration and especially with the uprising coming up soon people are aligning their characters with the side they assume will bring them the most enjoyable roleplay during that stage of the server. there's no point in saving it because it's too late and it'd be impossible without a full 100% wipe of all characters.

i haven't kept up with the verbal diarrhea of the last couple pages of this thread but i assume it basically boils down to one side saying "go and do things" and the other saying "well that doesnt help me do things".

do it anyway. literally just do it. if people want it back, people will bring it back. if people say they want it back but aren't willing to bring it back, then maybe they don't actually want it back as much as they just want others to do it for them.

e;
    like you're sitting here telling us that "go do things" doesn't help you "go do things", but instead of telling us that, you could...
    go and do things...
    instead!

• Agree Agree x 1
  20. Wizard

Wizard Actually a wizard.

United States
    Again. Everyone is either a cop off duty. Loyalist/informant. Or rebel. The reason there aren't any civvies is because there aren't any civvies. It's a loop. Much like this thread.

21. 7dast

7dast Zealot

United States
    nobody is saying it is SIMPLE to be motivated. we are saying the problem is a LACK of motivation on the individual level (also a lack of ability, ignorance, etc.) it took me like 5 years of roleplaying to have it finally click in my brain, and it was after i got banned for a year.

• Dumb Dumb x 1
  22. adderall

HL2 Admin

United States
    Might be because the map isn't so great for it, on the topic of the diminished citizen faction. Massive roads and tiny disconnected enclosures in District 1. It's spread fairly thin and doesn't have great flow. Might be because it isn't as rewarding what with both factions being so easily accessible now.

Just a thought.

• Agree Agree x 5
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  23. Warmessiah

Warmessiah B-B-B-BANNED

United Kingdom
    look arnold the map might be reinforcing the lack of citizens but I'm pretty sure that outside of the CWU's occasional events, there weren't a lot of citizens around even back when we were using i17

There were ideas in the pipeline for minor citizen factions like a grassroots neighbourhood watch-style 'block gang', etc. and I'm happy to talk to Rabid to try and bring that up but I think with HL2 ending for good most people are focusing on developing their main characters (usually CCA or roibles) rather than rolling fresh civvies to try out some new roleplay.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  24. Doggo

Doggo Zealot

Canada
    Is there any other maps that could work with both the rebel population and the CCA???

• Dumb Dumb x 1
  25. DiBen

HL2 Admin RR Moderator

United States
    We've been through, what, two maps to try and "foster civilian RP?" I don't think any map is going to make a difference at this point.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  26. 7dast

7dast Zealot

United States
    Don’t change the damn map god damn I like this map and it’s facilitated some different arch’s

• Agree Agree x 1
  27. Anony

Anony Spin Doctor
    HL2 Community Leader

this thread is like a tnb argument time capsule, I'm getting nostalgia from all the problems and proposals here

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  28. Bungo

Bungo sopping wet
    RR Moderator

United States
    so.....about That Economy

• Optimistic Optimistic x 1
  29. Nerdbird

Nerdbird Educated Avian

United States
    can we have a mega thread where we complain about problems on server instead of letting them build up until the next ccc comes around where we derail the thread to credit economy to changing the map

but that might deflate the drama hold that thought

• Agree Agree x 4
  30. Warmessiah

Warmessiah B-B-B-BANNED

United Kingdom
    i think there should be less special snowflake characters and more down to earth citizens

maybe when the city 8 uprising happens we can pk the rebels and everyone can start afresh?

also @Nerdbird @Bungo block gang? if there are no other citizens online that means we are the city...

• Winner Winner x 1
  31. Doggo

Doggo Zealot

Canada
    There's no drama it's just a squirt gun war with dumb ratings

Also giving a motivational speech about motivation gets you agree ratings

• Agree Agree x 1
  32. Bungo

Bungo sopping wet
    RR Moderator

United States
    Oh yes....we will own this Town