[CCC] Minge Grabbing Guns During S2K.

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by RevivalAD, Feb 11, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. RevivalAD

RevivalAD Banned

United States
    I'll preface this by stating I would appreciate if there are no personal attacks on anybody for this discussion.

I really don't like how people are often rewarded for minge grabbing guns during S2K. I think there should be a rule against it. As it stands, the rule states that if you lose your gun during a gun-fight, people aren't obligated to give it back, which encourages this sort of behavior. It also encourages people to carry around common guns just for S2K purposes so that they won't have to risk their more powerful weapons.

I suggest we rethink this rule to help discourage this type of behavior.

On a brighter sort of unrelated note, I do find it very admirable that a very large portion of the server does not participate in this type of behavior and will often hand the weapons back to their rightful owners, despite having every right to keeping the guns. Kudos to you people.

Ideally, we would simply not lose our guns upon death, and instead have them break much more often, but I believe Dave said this was not going to happen. :(

• Disagree Disagree x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • Optimistic Optimistic x 1
    • Bad Spelling Bad Spelling x 1
    #1 RevivalAD, Feb 11, 2019
    Last edited: Feb 11, 2019
  2. Pew

Pew wonga

United States
    man this problem has been around since the dawn of tnb, might wanna get used to it because it'll never go away

• Agree Agree x 7
  3. RevivalAD

RevivalAD Banned

United States
    Yeh you probably right. A damn shame.

4. Polioman

Polioman Senior Member

Canada
    I have in many s2ks found people who have lost very good and somewhat rare scripts and handed it back to them out of only sheer courtesy and I have stopped doing that either because of an over flowed inventory or because I just got sick of it. People will at some point die in an s2k doesn't matter if they are even a reprog even (admins only survive cause they give themselves like 90000 armor or something) but if someone is not prepared to lose the gun that they are holding in every s2k then I don't know what the hell is going through there head.

Thinking that minge grabbing guns is a problem during s2k is not bad but it happens a lot and it is told many times over that you do not have to return lost scripts and as well any lost scripts you lose in s2k will not be returned even if you /a it the only exception being donator weapons and scripts and also like the time during scott's massive s2k sprawl.

So this is not that big of a problem nor is it considered as such.

• Dumb Dumb x 2
    • Zing Zing x 1
    • ...what? ...what? x 1
  5. posepsi

posepsi actually el pepso

United States
  6. Disorder

Disorder Zealot

Romania
    It all revolves around common sense, really. I've always returned the weapons back to their owners even in most cases when they were better than what I had, who the hell cares about some scripts.

The other way around people always returned them back to me too when my character was killed in s2k, there were some few exceptions of course but other people saw them and it got solved in the end, greed deserves punishment.

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. Bulldog

Bulldog script mong

United States
    Want it fixed? Don't have weapons drop and instead they degrade in your inventory. Scripts aren't that big a deal, press mouse1 and it go pew bang or zap. Should you be prepared to lose stuff in S2K? Yes. Should you lowball your weapons so you don't lose anything "valuable"? Probably not, but do you. Don't want to have the risk of losing your scripts, be smart in S2K: don't rush into tight closed spaces, always have routes that you can fire and move, hang back with a scope (looking at yall Alpha with lower armor), don't get bogged down in one position too long, and don't stand out of cover/engage a drone when they're looking at you. There is usually a larger number of humans to SkyNet, use that to your advantage and spread out instead of clumping up in one massive blob directly in front of the drone. Not only does having people spread out and move back/forward with the battle, it creates a more cinematic feel (because people are into that). You don't have to be "good" in S2K to not die in S2K, it's pretty simple to just shoot at a drone, as soon as it turns faces you then change positions. Don't give drones a reason to single you out in a S2K.

Accurate TnB S2K

• Friendly Friendly x 1
  8. Scone !

Scone ! I am not a bot

India
    You mean you guys don’t have admins in your pocket to refund your shit?

• Funny Funny x 6
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  9. nec

nec lemondog

Australia
    if u dont spam e at the feet of people who are getting shot whilst bodyblocking them u arent playing the game right

• Agree Agree x 8
    • Funny Funny x 5
  10. Enraged

Enraged Mana Addict
    TRP Admin

United States
    I'll address all posts in order they were typed:
    Pew is right.
    Whatever Pepsi said is probably wrong.
    Weapons dropping on death allows them to cycle to other people in the server.
    Shut up nec >:(

It's always a good idea to have scripts on hand that you won't mind losing in s2k like a stock m14 or the likes.
    You're signing up for the risk of losing that script when it's equipped in s2k. And half the time I see people yoink a script mid s2k it's to make sure they can return it instead of allowing someone the chance to take it to keep.
    We can't moderate something like that without is becoming an absolute clusterfuck.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  11. Benji Dooble

Benji Dooble Diamond in the rough

United States
    how do you expect to get better guns idiot

• Agree Agree x 2
  12. Nat Attack

Nat Attack Legend

United States
    I get my s2k fix by s2king the minge grabbers instead of the terminators

Both problems solved

• Agree Agree x 1
  13. TankNut

TankNut Is HL2 done yet?
    Developer

Netherlands
    We had that when the new repair stuff got introduced, then Dave found out things stopped dropping and told us to revert it.

• Funny Funny x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  14. Nat Attack

Nat Attack Legend

United States
    just pull a Gang and have all dave's guns shoot him in his face when he fires

im sure he'd change his tune real fuckin quick as he feeds the server 80-watts

• Funny Funny x 3
  15. Robe

Robe some fucking pog fuck

United States
    i wouldn't take issue to this if fuckin skynet didn't hard s2k as much as they did

their weapons do considerable damage now, even when my character had over powered delta armor it was a struggle. i couldn't fathom how other squads felt when dickbag 800 just m1'd the shit out of them at close range, now i can. bunch of cock suckers. anyway, i digress.

pew is right, it's a struggle. most of the time people will return them, i've seen some drones straight up remover tool shit which is really fucked up frankly considering what they've been doing. also nec is right, there's a lot of script orientation in s2k which is shitty because that's not how a real firefight would be like at all. people actively getting shot at are more inclined to look down at the ground and collect some one-off random ass item than taking cover or returning fire- not something a character would realistically be doing.

in short, fuck all y'all

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Funny Funny x 1
  16. Scone !

Scone ! I am not a bot

India
    I don’t fear SkyNET.

I fear Wester’s shitty aim with the 80 watt when he nails everyone in the back of the head.

• Funny Funny x 7
    • Agree Agree x 1
  17. Grogrock the Black Knight

United States
    I think having weapons drop in S2K is a somewhat clever way of making people play more conservatively and not just trying to rush the drones en masse without regard for their character, but I also think its "inorganic" in that its almost turning the fear of the firefight into an OOC thing (I don't want to lose my script) into instead of an IC thing (I don't want to die).

I will go around grabbing weapons in a firefight, but usually because I want to get them before scavengers or less scrupulous players do. That's because I try to return them to their owners. That should not be my priority in a firefight, but I honestly would rather do something stupid OOCly like that than have to hear "who grabbed my AK" (like I was doing last night) in the middle and following those firefights.

There also should be an understanding like @Scone ! kind of alluded to where a lot of deaths tend to be accidental or just sort of "memey". That can include, as I have experienced, getting gbombed a bit too close, or like what happened last night where a player in the evac truck accidentally mowed down like 3 guys in the vehicle because they didn't realize their weapon would hit them before it hit the pursuing HK. In my case my characters name was confused for another character so I was tped out of relative safety while I was mid /me, not realizing I was about to be pinched by two T800s, and before I can actually say "you tped the wrong person here, I need to be sent back to the sewers" I get shot after a "no typing in S2K" message (in retrospect I should have pulled my physgun but idk if that would have actually helped). I was fortunate enough to be able to actually chat with the person who got my weapon and they, with some convincing, gave it back to me. In the past however I've had to basically negotiate for this crap (in one case somebody wanted me to failrp and just give them shit from the armory, obviously I did not do that), so to that I'd say that it comes down really to a lot of people in the community just being sort of dicks to each other?

I will also say that this inherently hurts new players in that they are the most vulnerable individuals in any firefight. Unlike certain people armed with say a 65 Watt who can chip away at the enemy or who have an exo suit which provides a substantial armor buffer, these guys may be stuck with an M16 and could be without a helmet. Therefore they are most likely to lose their gear, and that probably also makes them the most likely to try and take gear from other players. Since they probably are new on the server and don't know anybody, that may just lead to them being ganged up on when the inevitable drama comes out, becoming confused or frustrated with the system, and leaving.

I do agree with the internal degradation suggestion and I think that would help limit some of the toxicity and drama. This debate seems like its been a persistent one for months, and I doubt we'll see change. I would just suggest you do some clever IC thing and have your name on your weapons just to try and at least encourage the nice people on the server to return the weapon to you or a squadmate. That's the best thing I've been able to do.

• Winner Winner x 1
  18. Nat Attack

Nat Attack Legend

United States
    once when i was playing Nat Shapiro I killed a vestie with my 40-watt only to have him immediately rush back to where I killed him and shoot me in the back of the head not even 10 seconds later. He then proceeded to pick up my 40-watt and start using it to fight TC. His response when I pmed him if I could get it back was, "fuck off cunt"

It's a problem Polioman

• Funny Funny x 4
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Optimistic Optimistic x 1
  19. Nerdbird

Nerdbird Educated Avian

United States
    god i wish i was that vestie

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Funny Funny x 3
  20. Nat Attack

Nat Attack Legend

United States
    Enraged merc'd him like a minute later and proceeded to return my gun so lmao

• Agree Agree x 1
  21. Nerdbird

Nerdbird Educated Avian

United States
  22. Desrat456

Desrat456 Member

United States
    TBH, I think part of our S2K problem can be chalked up to some abuse of drones and vesties. Some folk tend to believe that because they're on a human, it's okay to use super powerful guns and hard S2k people playing smart. Other times you just have drones that don't understand the meaning of 'S2m' and just light up anyone running to cover or at the wrong place, wrong time. Tldr, if you see someone blatantly ignoring the rules, tell an admin. Screaming at Skynet in ooc when it's one bad apple is rude and makes us all look worse.

23. posepsi

United States
    It's also partly a problem with overpowered skynet sweps. I constantly get instakilled behind cover where you can't really justify it as a deserved death for acting dumb. TTK is just not great.

24. A Blaze of Glory

A Blaze of Glory Senior Member

United States
    Oh hey, it's my two cents.

Prefacing this with no, I'm not saying scripts make roleplay, this is a legit OOC annoyance that follows every extended S2K event that drives my temple into my desk.
    Player [OOC]: WhO pIcKeD uP mY GuUuUuNs!>!1>!.!11?
    Weapon dropping would make sense without the repair function, and the repair system would make sense without weapon dropping.
    Lemme break it down.

Right now, people are hoarding scripts in their inventories for the select purpose of shotbottting. So, when a player finds another script, regardless of value or rarity or how good it is, it's absorbed into their inventory and they plaster their name in its description and clutch onto it like it's a 50 watt. People hardly use the new repair function because why the Hell would they?
    Let's say they've got two scripts, one damaged and one not. If they break down one script for parts to repair the other, they would be down to one script. They are not guaranteed this script back if they enter a S2K event, and after one death could potentially be without a weapon leading to A) sitting around with a physgun out waiting for the event to be over to go loot the map if there's loot B) run around with fists out hovering up scripts of other players who drop, you know, the same activity this thread is addressing that people have established as annoying C) bugging admins for scripts to continue the S2K every time they die.

At this point, it makes more sense for that player to just keep their damaged shit as damaged, never repair it until it's broken, and have at the minimum two chances in a S2K event. So why even have a repair system to begin with? I get it's cool, but it's annoying as fuck with added weapon drop and nobody even uses the thing as much as I'm sure you intended when it was implemented.

If you take away weapon drop people will break down common shit for better, rarer shit, meaning the longer a character is around the more likely they become to get better weaponry which, actually sounds like a pretty neat side effect if you ask me.
    If you take away the repair system and just keep dropping then you get the 'script circulation' without the annoyance and hassle of having to take away S2K chances with the repair system we have now.

Or, you let it sit and just deal with the admins having to be bothered with script related nonsense after every S2K when they could be rping, event building, taking administrative action, etc.
    And that's all I get for two cents.

E: Oh hey, found a hay penny for a quick edit.
    I'm not trying to attack the weapon system and say that "it's all garbage burn it down!" No. I can see where you're coming from with it and it's a good idea- just- too much of it.

Weapon drops and repair systems are both great ideas to balance out reckless behavior, people should be punished for being jackasses, but you can have too much of a good thing.
    While I get you have a system you came up with and are proud of, we should always be in a continuous improvement mindset, and sometimes that means slimming down instead of adding on.

Both are great systems but having them in combination just leads to headache and playerbase behavior that leads to threads like the one you're reading right now. It's clearly bothering users enough to go on at length about it, so how can it be improved? Are you asking yourself this? You should. Do it now.

That's all I get for a hay penny? Alright. Until next time.

• Useful Useful x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    #24 A Blaze of Glory, Feb 11, 2019
    Last edited: Feb 11, 2019
  25. Symmetry

Symmetry Kwisatz Haderach

Canada
    I mean when your community explcitly caters to the type of player who does this sort of thing, it's kind of part of the package huh.

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Funny Funny x 2
  26. Rabid

Rabid Legend

Ultimately due to the weapon drop system meaning the only real consequence is weapon drops it makes people far more pissy when invariably that Drone decides to actually be a danger (because lets be real it didn't matter what model I was, I wasn't allowed to shoot straight beyond point-blank) and kills them only for that gun to get hoovered up. That isn't even counting all the cheeky fuckers who decided to "accidentally" TK me for my gun in S2K when I'm not even in their line of fire.

HL2 suffered from the same problem until weapon drops got turned off and (shock) suddenly people weren't being "accidentally" killed for weapons and, despite claims, people still weren't going balls-to-the-wall in S2K.

You need a weapon to contribute on most of the stuff going on in TRP but we're at the point where that action is a massive punishment by the fact that losing your most powerful weapon reduces you to as useful as a pet rock. Having an M16 or AK would have been fine at the start of the server but now they're laughable.

• Agree Agree x 6
  27. Benji Dooble

Benji Dooble Diamond in the rough

United States
    we should have 40k commisars to make sure everyone is fighting for the glory of humanity instead of worrying for greed

• ...what? ...what? x 1
  28. Scone !

Scone ! I am not a bot

India
    Yall have it too good anyway.

When I was a recruit all we had was two sticks and a rock, and we had to share the rock.

• Funny Funny x 1
  29. posepsi

United States
    You had sticks?

30. Emelianenko

Emelianenko Legend

Anybody picked up my rock? I dropped it.

• Agree Agree x 2
  31. Nitra

Nitra Zealot

Canada
    sometimes i feel like trp is just one giant year-long s1 shotcop

32. Newticus

Newticus (★★☆☆☆)
    Contributor

United States
    @TankNut

You guys ever considered doing a percent chance to drop guns instead of doing it every time?

Could be a good middle ground. Would keep people playing careful, but not so careful that they’re using throw-aways.

• Agree Agree x 1
  33. feelsgoodman

feelsgoodman New Blood

United States
    How can people write so much about dropping their scripts? I am in awe at the length of these posts.

• Agree Agree x 12
  34. Grumpy

Grumpy Senior Member

The Average TC Soldier going to fight SkyNET post gun drop update - 2025
    [​IMG]
    RUSH B!

35. LilSumac

LilSumac Zealot

United States
    i just spectate my dead body and watch to see which bitch ass picks up my gun so i know who to light up over pms

• Funny Funny x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  36. pvt. bing 'b' bing

pvt. bing 'b' bing sopping wet
    TRP Admin

United States
    97E99963-6DCD-471C-A112-DAF1689B8F3A.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Funny Funny x 3
  37. toastmatic

toastmatic paranoid and delusional

the best part about rdming nerds is removing their guns right as they run back

• Agree Agree x 5
  38. Koumakan

Koumakan Zealot

United States
  39. TankNut

TankNut Is HL2 done yet?
    Developer

Netherlands
    What part of Dave refusing to budge on the issue do you not understand

• Funny Funny x 3
    • Zing Zing x 2
    • Friendly Friendly x 1