1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Anyone like watches?

Discussion in 'Media Section' started by Ben, Dec 29, 2016.

1. Symmetry

Symmetry Kwisatz Haderach

Canada
    My Luch watch arrived the other day, from the same seller Ross has been raving about. I like it. It's really slim and minimal.

So have another skinnynerdwrist.jpg

[​IMG]

• Winner Winner x 1
  2. shotcopper 9000

shotcopper 9000 Dead Soul

Australia
    apologies for shitawful quality as my phone's camera doesn't handle the black hole of calcutta's miserable interior lighting well + the flash pisses me off

i'll try get some proper ones next week

anyway, the perpetual calendar is here,

[​IMG]

not visible in the photo but the second hand is bent, if you see it side-on it's a convex curve. doesn't affect telling the time as it's still straight face-on, but it's a bit annoying. might have it sorted out at a later date for perfectionism's sake. the day complication was also being a bit problematic (it was stuck between days, and took a lot of fiddling to set - more than it should have, so i suspect it won't advance properly now i do have it on the right day). we'll see how that goes but if it is an ongoing issue i can have it sorted later, at the price i bought this and its age i expected some minor issues. otherwise it's keeping good time so far and ticking away happily, so we'll see.

my gold one i got before this is running a minute or two fast per day and sometimes stops when i'm trying to set the time, though i think that's because i was winding it backwards which i now realise is not the done thing where possible - probably just some oil gumming up the movement as a gentle shake or tap would get it started again. actually i'm fucking astonished how pristine it is condition-wise - the second hand is bent very very slightly, almost impossible to notice, but otherwise the plating is almost intact which is very uncommon with a lot of vintage soviet watches. might not have seen much wear, which makes sense, i guess. it's very dressy while things like my blue raketa and my slava are pretty much go-to daily wears.

here's the collection so far, but missing the red zim as that arrives tomorrow. i'll post pics when it does.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

other than the gold one and the calendar (which is as yet an unknown quantity), none of them gain or lose any appreciable amount of time over the course of a week or so.

e: none of the straps are original as the blue raketa's presized and impossible-to-disassemble bracelet was like twice the diameter of my skeletor wrists, and the rest all came with aftermarket straps. the one on the komandirskie is fucking godawful and possibly an actual downgrade from the legendarily terrible ones the watches came with from the factory. the rest of the leather ones are all okay but a bit stiff and need extra holes put in them to fit my stupid wrist. the nato on the submariner is getting a bit crusty so i'll probably clean it and/or swap it for a solid dark red nato band

#42 shotcopper 9000, Apr 20, 2017
    Last edited: Apr 20, 2017
  3. BMY871

BMY871 Senior Member

United States
    [​IMG]
    Luxury meets gourmet

• Bad Reading Bad Reading x 1
  4. shotcopper 9000

Australia
    cease and desist immediately

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  5. shotcopper 9000

Australia
    perpetual calendar picked up two minutes overnight, might take it and the gold one down the nearest watchmaker and ask them if they can adjust the regulators for me

if i hear "these are russian sorry we can't do anything with them" i'm going to punch a bitch out

6. shotcopper 9000

Australia
    day complication on the perpetual calendar is indeed a problem, it didn't tick over and instead got stuck between thursday and friday (as it was when it arrived wednesday). date is a little slow to advance but it does actually advance. the watch seems to function fine otherwise so even though the seller has a 14 day return policy i think i'll just let it slide and sort it out myself when i can be arsed

zim arrived today and is actually significantly larger than i pictured it being, it's quite nice and seems to keep time quite well

7. shotcopper 9000

Australia
    MORE PEOPLE NEED TO POST WATCHES

here's some clearer photos of the komandirskie, will get some of whole collection later this week

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

as you can see my phone camera ranges from 'actually pretty alright' to 'actually worse than a fucking potato' based on how much natural light is present, and my flat is not nicknamed the black hole of calcutta for no reason.

perpetual calendar update: the seller's offered to get it fixed locally and pay the postage if i can't find a watchmaker here who'll do it for a reasonable price (a highly likely eventuality). i might have to part with it for a month or so but she's been pretty solid so far so we'll see how we go

zim update: runs about 30 sec to a minute fast per day, but otherwise flawless, very nice even if i could bludgeon someone to death with it. the case style makes it really annoying to wind which is such a charmingly soviet oversight

general update: i might price out getting the komandirskie re-lumed but i fully expect every watchmaker i speak to to balk the second they realise it's not a cheapo quartz or ho-hum swiss movement

also the soviets really liked their sunburst dials, even on understated white-faced dress watches, they're almost ubiquitous