A long journey

Discussion in 'In-Character Area' started by Charles.C, May 13, 2019 at 9:09 AM.

1. Charles.C

Charles.C Senior Member

Germany
    Bakersfield... Once a lovely town, filled with people, light, traffic. Now, mere a ruin of its former self. Lifeless, only few remaining souls wandering around the destroyed roads and inhabiting the ruined houses. Yet, this is the home of many Tech-Comm soldiers, that fight everyday for their survival. But something unusual happened, a small group of soldiers, consisting out of five Alpha members, moved on the roads to the north, out of Bakersfield. Their target yet unknown, but the point-man being Lance Corporal Pascal Meyers, followed by a unknown Corporal and three unknown Private First Classes.
    They've been walking for over three days and arrived at a small place called Porterville. The silence on the radio would be broken up by a transmission coming from the small group.

** Ghost-Actual to Bakersfield. I repeat, Ghost-Actual to Bakersfield. **

The voice would sound familiar, the same emotionless voice that left Bakersfield three days ago, Meyers. But more voices sound off in the background. They couldn't be older than Meyers by the sound of it.

** Hey, why's that guy even trying to reach his buddies? We're too far away for that shit man! **

** Don't ask. He's just an idiot. I don't even know if this guy is even human, I mean, listen to him speaking! Almost like a god damn infiltrator! **

The conversation would be interrupted by static, until Meyers voice sounds off again.

** Bakersfield, if you can read then listen. Recon team Ghost has reached Porterville, area around Bakersfield is hot. SkyNet forces seem to concentrate around Bakersfields close proximity. We'll continue our travel via vehicle, target location is... Salem. ETA two days if we get through without contact. Ghost-Actual will report once we made contact or once we arrive our target destination. **

The signal begins to break up again, interferences making it hard to understand anything further for some minutes, until the signal is gone for good. It might be unclear for Bakersfield what might've happened to the team, if even anything happened at all. The only thing they can do is wait... Wait, until the team has accomplished it's long journey.

PS.: First time writing anything like this, thought it would be a neat addition to update the status of Meyers, considering I mostlikely wont be able to play him till next weekend.

• Friendly Friendly x 12
    #1 Charles.C, May 13, 2019 at 9:09 AM
    Last edited: May 13, 2019 at 11:36 AM
  2. Enraged

Enraged Mana Addict
    TRP Admin

United States
    This was a really good read! Nice writing.

Moved it to the IC Writing subforum.

• Friendly Friendly x 1
  3. Charles.C

Charles.C Senior Member

Germany
    Thanks, didn't know where to put it exactly. I'll continue it in the time steps that are mentioned in the parts. Or even come on the server when I can and do actual radio transmissions and such.

You could also like, ICly answer if you want to I guess, I wanted to test it out ^^

#3 Charles.C, May 13, 2019 at 3:16 PM
    Last edited: May 13, 2019 at 5:43 PM
  4. wester

wester Kiruclanz 2.0

Canada
    good read. waiting for pascal to return....

5. Charles.C

Charles.C Senior Member

Germany
    Well, he wont be around till next weekend due to RL reasons, but I'll be on later via radio for half an hour or so.

• Friendly Friendly x 1
  6. Charles.C

Charles.C Senior Member

Germany
    After daily sporadic contact with the Recon team, stationed near Salem, south of Portland, the radio signal would reach Bakersfield and the TC company there aswell. Meyers voice, clearly hearable over the radio, would not sound as calm as it usually is. Instead, he would sound helpless, one may say even scared at that moment, when the newest radio transmission comes in...

** Ghost-Actual to Bakersfield. We're RTB in a convoy out of three vehicles, including our own. Ghost team is down to two members. The leading Corporal had been assassinated by a Reaver unit and lured us into a trap, one of the Private First Classes died at the ambush, while another deceased later on due to inflicted injuries. We had contact with the local bandit group aswell, or what remains of it. They were holding the civilian group captive and attempted to raid their caravan for medical supplies. We were quick enough to intervene and rescued any valuable medical supplies we could find. If you can hear this Bakersfield, then we're on our way home. Yet I am unsure, how far we'll come. **

After the speech new voices sound off in the background. A mixture of young and old voices. The sound of car engines filling the silence of the radio as a silent hum... Yet, somebody seems eager to use the radio.

** Hey you guys on the radio, if you're Bakersfield Company then I swear to god, I've lost three comrades in this shithole Salem, just because fucking higher ups ordered us to move to you and pick your guy up. If we wouldn't have done that, then I am confident that these three men would still be alive. I don't care what higher ups will say, yet I make you responsible for this shit! **

The voice on the radio turns silent, before Meyers takes it's place again.

** I am sorry for this interruption, Bakersfield. That was the last remaining Private First Class here that came from Fresno with the others. It is unclear to me why they've been ordered to pick me up, nor why he is so confident about my presence being the reason for his friends deaths... Yet, I know that he'll mostlikely try something stupid in near future. I'll stay in touch with you Bakersfield, wish us good luck... and empty roads. Ghost-Actual out. **

As soon as the last word had been said, the Ether fills the radio once more. The signal gone, seemingly turned off for now. Yet a good message in it. The long journey of the men seems to find an end soon, even if not everyone can see the end of the road anymore...

PS. Feedback would be appreciated ^^

• Friendly Friendly x 1